Here is a delicious and healthy recipe that I have been enjoying! It is great in the mornings, or to grab as a handful for a snack at any time. This recipe is from the Rebar cookbook (for anyone who isn’t familiar with Victoria, BC, Rebar is an amazing vegetarian restaurant located in the heart of downtown.
“Wool Socks and Birkenstocks may be a West Coast trademark, but make no mistake, this is no hippie-dippy granola recipe! This is what you get when granola heads uptown. Wear your best silk pajamas, grab a Sunday New York Times, and dip in with your silver spoon!”
- 3 cups large flake oats
- 1 1/2 cups barley flakes
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup maple syrup (or honey, or a combination)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
1. In a large bowl combine the first 8 ingredients. In a smaller bowl, whist together the oil, water, honey and vanilla. Combine the wet and dry mixes and stir thoroughly.
2. Spread the mixture out onto 2 baking sheets. Bake at 250F for 20-30 minutes. Stir mixture every 10 minutes to ensure even baking and remove from the over when golden brown. Cool and stil in the dried fruit. Seal and store for up to 1 month.
*Variations for other seed/nut/fruit combinations:
– almonds, wheatgerm, dried cherries
– pecans, flax seeds, dried mango
-walnuts, dried apricots and figs
Please leave any comments, or new variations that you find on this recipe!
Keep playing hard,